Official DragonLotus Design Thread

Discussion in 'Progenitor Design Threads' started by Simon Strange, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Simon Strange

Simon Strange Sunstone Games Staff Staff Member Forum Moderator Theme Team!

Kaiju Coins:
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. Mara

Mara DTM, owner of DragonLotus

Kaiju Coins:
    I may be biased, but I think this will be my favorite character in the game. ;)

I am Mara's creator. Or I should say, co-creator! The creative powers of Simon and Matt and myself were pooled together to form this character out of a fountain of ideas, angles, concepts, and powers. She has distilled nicely, I think. I'm quite happy with how she's turned out!

I've played a lot of Kaiju games, and it is rare to see a female Kaiju. I wanted Mara to be different than the typical Kaiju, but still quite dangerous, and a pleasant challenge to play successfully. I think what we have here will do that nicely.

What do you guys think?

3. Lenbo

Lenbo Wonderful Forum Moderator Trusted User

Kaiju Coins:
    The original post has unt-JUST KIDDING!

Really dig the feminine body type. It's at both alluring and dangerous looking.

Can't wait to see DragonLotus team up with Tornaq in team battles! Female kaiju unite!

What was the inspiration behind the name?

4. nifanatic

nifanatic Orokana.

Kaiju Coins:
    And just when I was beginning to wonder when we'd see a more friendly fighter... and something humanoid... and if there'd be anything dragonic. XD

The design looks very intricate; reminds me of a reptilian Power Ranger? :p But that makes it easy to picture the kind of moves she could have. I have a feeling she'll be one of the most dangerous fighters so far, given her size and speed... It's always the ones with the quickest moves that seem to hit the hardest.

I'd love to see some colors, that's the only thing I'm having trouble visualizing, but otherwise really like the concept! A very unique take for a kaiju indeed. (=
    I'm also curious to know what the name's about . . .

5. Spera01

Spera01 Well-Known Member

Kaiju Coins:
    :eek: Woah!... I absolutely LOVE her design! It's nice to see a humanoid Kaiju who isn't silly looking. Also thumbs up for another female Kaiju... She's easy on the eyes! :p Her techniques make her sound like a very interesting and fun character to play around with, so I look forward to seeing her in game!

Nice work Mara!

6. Sunny Leung

Sunny Leung Cuteness is still my power! But no more Kaneki...

Kaiju Coins:
    I can't imagine how her roar will be. It seems that she can talk rather than roar...:eek:
    However, it will be good to see a different shape of Kaijus.

7. ShadyInversion

ShadyInversion Well-Known Member

Kaiju Coins:
    Really unique story and design. I'm really curious to see how they animate her counters and grapples with so many kaiju. Also being a wind type I'm curious if she can fly or move really fast. Her humanoid form will probably make her the fastest CQC fighter in the game, unless the bird kaiju gets changed to a woodpecker.

Honestly I'm not a fan of humanoid kaiju (Jet Jagaaar!) but if there's a best case scenario for one, this is it. I'd love to play her campaign just for the story. Depending on her gameplay, I may just have found my new main.

8. Paul M. AKA Kyotita

Paul M. AKA Kyotita DesignTeamMember Bagan/Kyotita spokesman

Kaiju Coins:
    Love the character except it makes me sad because my 500$ donation was going to be to get a character pretty much the same as this into the game LOL. Well played! you simply beat me to the punchline T_T. Beautiful design and I give you billions of rep points for not trying to force giant clothing on your monster like I see done so many times sadly XD (clothing is simply ridiculous on kaiju lol). She almost has a female Monster X vibe going on (mine wasn't a monster X creature since its skin wasn't so armor like but similar in idea to this). But hell will be fun to use this character since I can imagine it was like mine LOL!

either way great work and great addition to the game &^^

9. Welson Jonhson

Welson Jonhson Facebook page manager and DTM.

Kaiju Coins:
    She looks like a mix of Kamen Rider Black, Guyver and Ultra Man Zero. I loved it !

10. Mara

Kaiju Coins:
    Mara's monastery, called the Yellow Flower, focused on motions and styles inspired by the dichotomy of flowers that had both beauty and danger, such as roses, and lotus. Both come in a variety of colors in the monastery's garden. The symbol on her chest is a lotus, which will probably be yellow when the artwork is colored, to symbolize the monastery that raised her, taught her, and shaped her into the force she has become.

Ohhh, her and Tornaq would make a great team! Or her and Macrosaurus -- both ends of the kaiju spectrum!

Agares1000 likes this.
  11. Mara

Kaiju Coins:
    Think, and we shall deliver. ;)
    I think her attacks, on average, will be below average damage. She'll be more about reaction speed and tactics than she is about brute force. But beware her martial prowess!
    Primary color will be green, with some black and yellow, especially that symbol on her chest -- a yellow lotus -- honoring her monastery, the Yellow Flower. Her name thus stems from that background combined with the draconic nature of the armor she wears to become kaiju. Thus, "DragonLotus". :)

nifanatic likes this.
  12. Simon Strange

Simon Strange Sunstone Games Staff Staff Member Forum Moderator Theme Team!

Kaiju Coins:
    DragonLotus will NOT be a speedy fighter - nor will she be a fast flyer.

For many kaiju, each clash looks something like this, ideally:

I take 30 damage, my opponent takes 50 damage and is knocked down.​

If this goes badly you might end up with:

I take 50 damage and get knocked down, my opponenet gets 30 damage.​

Mara will play quite differently. Her ideal scenario is:

I take 0 damage, my opponent takes 45 damage and is knocked down.​

If this goes badly she ends up with:

I take 50 damage and get knocked down, my opponent takes 0 damage.​

So Mara requires real precision to play, otherwise she'll lose.

13. Mara

Kaiju Coins:
    Thanks! =) Even if the core concept originated with me, development credit is definitely shared by Simon and the artist, Matt. Matt took everything Simon and I originally talked about (which was more like a half-dragon), and turned it on its head a little bit, added some classic kaiju humanoid feel, and gave her a spiny look -- I like to think of them as thorns. ;) Then Simon and I, and sometimes Matt, swapped emails and had some meetings and really put a lot of effort into distilling her coolest essentials while still being true to the core of my original concept.

Simon was specially good at conjuring the essence of the character out of me. I knew what I wanted, but I needed Simon's vision to put it into words, and a context that worked in the game, and Matt's visuals and ideas helped spice it all up. It was a team effort, and a lot of fun!

14. Mara

Kaiju Coins:
    Oops, sorry man! >.>
    Oh gawd, yeah, kind of silly. Would take a LOT of fabric! lol
    Heheh, cool, I'm glad she wasn't so off-the-wall that no one would be able to relate to her but me. Maybe she's filling a bigger niche than we originally thought. =)
    Thanks!

Also: there are two kinds of people in this world. Those who separate people into two kinds, and those who don't. ;)

15. Invincibleirys

Invincibleirys Well-Known Member

Kaiju Coins:
    Cool. These are some of the best designed kaiju anywhere. They are worthy of their own movie series.

16. iangfan12

iangfan12 Well-Known Member

Kaiju Coins:
    Moratitain has yet another oppents to face in his goal to become the only lifeform and fore iun all existance. cool idea inddeed

17. Welson Jonhson

Kaiju Coins:
    I´m still impressed how a dark anti-anti-anti-almost villain- hero character like Moratitan could have been created by a kid ^^ .

I´m really proud of you Ian. Kids like you give me hope in humanity again.

18. Welson Jonhson

Kaiju Coins:
    I really loved your character. As I said before she reminds me the time I spent watching japanese tokusatus when I was a kid.

19. ShadyInversion

ShadyInversion Well-Known Member

Kaiju Coins:
    I want to translate DragonLotus but have no idea where to begin. I could do it in Katakana but DragonLotus I feel should be kanji. A common characters according to denshi jishou (a JP-Eng dictionary) for dragon is 竜. This 蓮 is the most common for lotus.

Together the kanji for DragonLotus is 竜蓮. DJ pronounces the kanji separatly as ryuu and hasu respectively but there's many readings of them. Here's how to write it: HERE

"Mara" is マーラ maara, alternatively マラ mara should work too. You might be able to extend the vowels for マーラー maaraa but I don't have any actual evidence to support it. Simpler to write. I'm curious which name will she use onscreen in KC. DragonLotus or Mara?

20. Mike A. Roberge

Mike A. Roberge Mogilos

Kaiju Coins:
    So far, this game only has one Kaiju I may rarely play as (Macrosaurus), other than that these Kaiju are coming out terrifically! Keep up the good work!