Series 1 reveal - Desolous, the Avatar of Destruction!

Discussion in 'CKC Trading Cards and Combat Deck discussion!' started by Simon Strange, Aug 7, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 08-14-17
  1. Simon Strange

Simon Strange Sunstone Games Staff Staff Member Forum Moderator Theme Team!

Kaiju Coins:
    Sometimes things just line up SO NICELY. Like when you're a rampaging destructive force, and you find out that your next-door-neighbor just so happens to ALSO thirst to destroy everything! Lovely.

Desolous isn't a mastermind, but she's one of the heaviest hitters in the CKC universe. And she can TEAR UP an opposing team and the city simultaneously, in a glorious ballet of destruction.

More reveals every Monday!

[​IMG]

2. sweettooth564

sweettooth564 ☤ The Forums Crazy Clown ☤ Kaiju Benefactor Theme Team!

Kaiju Coins:
    I love it, and I like the Manda reference.

Asura likes this.
  3. spmax12

spmax12 Well-Known Member

Kaiju Coins:
    uhhhhh

[​IMG]

why is it just a snake now?
    ????????????????

4. Simon Strange

Kaiju Coins:
    Desolous is not "just a snake now." Why do you think so?

Asura likes this.
  5. spmax12

Kaiju Coins:
    because it clearly has no limbs or has a body remotely similar to jakos art or all the other designs the only thing i can tell that its supposed to be the character is the head i thought drastic changes only happened in progenitor phase?

6. AbyssalRuler

AbyssalRuler Design Team Mr. Krabs

Kaiju Coins:
    Ask Slither, not Simon.

7. Simon Strange

Kaiju Coins:
    Desolous is an extra-dimensional being. Her body changes depending on need. When forcing an alien ship down to crash on a planet, extra limbs just get in the way.

If you look at the art, Dosolous has all sorts of different configurations. Because Desolous isn't a biological entity, but rather a demon.

8. spmax12

Kaiju Coins:
    k thanks for clearing that up makes sense now

9. desro'saur 3300

desro'saur 3300 The True Chimera King and Creator of Aggredora Kaiju Benefactor Theme Team!

Kaiju Coins:
    glad you kept the shape shifting thing intact , but im pretty sure shes defiantly more than a demon, she defiantly looks like one though. XD

Shashi likes this.
  10. Asura

Asura Unofficial Updater of the CKC TV Tropes Page

Kaiju Coins:
    Nope. "Drastic changes" can be made during the card phase as well. :)

Shashi likes this.
  11. Simon Strange

Kaiju Coins:
    What does "more than a demon" mean?

In my mind, there is a taxonomy of kaiju - everyone fits into one of these categories:

Animal, Mech, Mineral, Energy, Mystic, Demon.

Shashi and Asura like this.
  12. desro'saur 3300

desro'saur 3300 The True Chimera King and Creator of Aggredora Kaiju Benefactor Theme Team!

Kaiju Coins:
    demons are usually associated with evil and the unholy(usually religious). Desolous is something above things like that.

Also wouldnt demons and mystic be in the same category since they both are tied to the supernatural?

Shashi, Mexicankaiju and Asura like this.
  13. wewewezing

wewewezing Witch of Salvation Theme Team! Trusted User

Kaiju Coins:
    Another sweet card, really like the "re-entering orbit" feel. Can't say I was too familiar with Desolous before, so I have no real opinion on the apocolyptic world ending changes that were apparently made to the character.

That said, I nominate Asura for whatever award we give for hilarious Passive Aggression. I almost did a spit take when I saw it.

Shashi likes this.
  14. Asura

Asura Unofficial Updater of the CKC TV Tropes Page

Kaiju Coins:
    Passive aggression? Not sure what you're getting at, wewewezing.

15. Simon Strange

Kaiju Coins:
    Certainly, religious texts use the word "Demon" - but that's not really at all how I apply it within CKC.

I like Robert Asprin's take - a "Demon" is a "Dimension Traveler" - someone from outside our normal space, who's now here. Since they are from a different place altogether, they might cross lines or function in ways we don't recognize or understand. Maybe time goes backwards in their home, or swings like a pendulum, or movement is the same as sleeping, or whatever crazy thing.

By comparison, a "Mystic" character is associated with someone wielding unusual & powerful forces. Sometimes it's the character itself (KammehLotus) or sometimes the creature is created by those forces.

But a Demon is different. Even if a demon uses mystic power, the "difference" of the Demon is that it comes from an extradimensional space.

16. Drake213

Drake213 HAK HAK HAK!

Kaiju Coins:
    Yet another change of male to female. At this point I'm rather used to it but it's still a minor hang up. A pet peeve even. :roflmao Aside from that, I've got no nitpicks whatsoever, art is great, information is great, stats and ability are great. All of it really comes together to give off that feel of Desolus being an entity of destruction as intended.

Another excellent entry in the set, can't wait to see the next one. :biggrin

Shashi likes this.
  17. wewewezing

Kaiju Coins:
    I assumed that your comment in regards to "Drastic Changes" was a reference to the issues you had with your card.

18. Simon Strange

Kaiju Coins:
    I'd like to point out that in the official thread, the gender is listed as "NONE."

19. Simon Strange

Kaiju Coins:
    Wait - did Asura have issues with his card? If so they weren't passed along to me...

20. wewewezing

Kaiju Coins:
    I may have phrased that poorly, "Issues" may be the wrong term. Maybe "concerns" is better? If I recall correctly, Asura was rather puzzled that the depiction of Lorica differed from the description in the thread for the character. There were several posts made in the reveal thread for Lorica's card discussing why such changes were made, and him and I spoke about it a few times in the SB.

Shashi likes this.