Series 1 reveal - Lorica, the Redeemed Insect Warrior!

Discussion in 'CKC Trading Cards and Combat Deck discussion!' started by Simon Strange, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:49 AM.

Added to Calendar: 07-24-17
  1. Simon Strange

Simon Strange Sunstone Games Staff Staff Member Forum Moderator Theme Team!

Kaiju Coins:
    Our next Space Knight is one of the most loyal members, who never lost faith during the Space Knight's period of inactivity. And her ability keys off the new card type introduced in this set - Trophies! Trophies are attached to characters like scars are. But they differ in a few key ways:

1 - A character may have any number of attached trophies, though no more than 1 of a given trophy name.
    2 - Each trophy has a different requirement for how & when it can be attached.

Lorica's dedication allows her to search her deck after she fights (and survives) in combat against another kaiju, and attach ANY trophy, regardless of its requirements! And just for fun, she also acts as a nasty counter-fighter to any powerful Monarchs.

More kaiju reveals every Monday!

[​IMG]

nifanatic, Kimarous, Drake213 and 5 others like this.
  2. evil lampost

evil lampost Crumpets and Tea Theme Team!

Kaiju Coins:
    Yet another brilliant card! I love Lorica's design and psychedelic colour scheme, and I'm really looking forward to that Trophy mechanic too. Also, I'm a sucker for bio-luminescent Pacific Rim-esque blood. Can't wait for these to be put onto Lackey eventually :p

Asura and Shashi like this.
  3. Asura

Asura Unofficial Updater of the CKC TV Tropes Page

Kaiju Coins:
    I'm guessing the eyes were inspired by those of a flower mantis, and they look like they have a bit of dragonfly in them too. That's a nice touch I hadn't considered.

The gun-leg reminds me of GRINDHOUSE.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 1:52 AM
    evil lampost, SWEGM and Shashi like this.
  4. SWEGM

SWEGM Progenitor and Creator of Ghaspar Kaiju Benefactor

Kaiju Coins:
    Aw man, these early reveals keep catching me by surprise, but I'm not complaining! Lorica was one of my favorite submissions by far, and like the rest of Series 1 her card art does not disappoint. Slither is proving to be a very competent card artist with each reveal, not just with the characters themselves but with the other touches as well; for example I love the dead kaiju lying in the battleground of this one. And in Lunato's I loved the sight of both the moon and the Earth in the background.

Also, loving all the new abilities each character brings to the table. Lorica's might be my favorite so far. New trophy system sounds cool!

Shashi, Asura and evil lampost like this.
  5. Sunny Leung

Sunny Leung Cuteness is still my power! But no more Kaneki...

Kaiju Coins:
    Interesting. Although she has an evil look, she is still in the Space Knight side. Cool!

Shashi and Asura like this.
  6. wewewezing

wewewezing Some Bloke' with a Baseball Bat Trusted User

Kaiju Coins:
    The eyes on this one creep me out, in a good way!

Shashi and Asura like this.
  7. Asura

Kaiju Coins:
    Guess I may as well provide a full review of the card. My first impression was that the card is phenomenal and Slither's artwork is fantastic, although there are a few design choices that I'm curious about.

Starting off with the description, the backstory is perfect and I love the little nod to her fight with the Queen from her OKS page in her special ability. The profile mentions she has a "Power Blade", but I don't see it anywhere in the artwork - how does it work? In terms of the artwork, I really like her thorax structure and the length of her arm cannon; her posing on top of a slain kaiju is straight-up badass, and I never considered giving her flower mantis eyes, which I think is a cool touch. The leg-cannon, assuming that's what it is, reminds me of the main character of GRINDHOUSE and the Scotsman from Samurai Jack.

To be honest, I had hoped Lorica would be one of the last kaiju revealed: @wewewezing is in the process of creating revised artwork that better reflectes how I envision Lorica than the art that's currently on her OMS profile. Not to say that wewewezing's current artwork isn't amazing, but the initial drawings and sketches he did don't accurately reflect how I picture Lorica, and I was really hoping they wouldn't be used as references for the card — which is why I took them out of the first post, labelled them as outdated designs, and added a lengthy description there instead. I'd hoped Lorica would be one of the last SER Kaiju revealed so that Wewewezing could have plenty of time to finish his revision and I could put it up as a reference, but I guess that didn't work out. :(

My biggest nitpick regarding the design is that Lorica doesn't have her raptorial limb/sword-arm, which for me was an integral part of what made her a space-knight, a crusader at war with her own species, and I'm wondering if @Simon Strange, @Slither234, and/or any of the Theme Team members can tell me what prompted the decision to remove it.

That said, what Slither's done here is awesome and I applaud his artistic skills. ^_^ Keep up the excellent work!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 10:49 PM
    Shashi and evil lampost like this.
  8. Simon Strange

Kaiju Coins:
    My direction to Slither was to have just the Chela arm, and leave the other limb in an original "organic" state. The Power Blade is a function of the cannon - it serves as BOTH a melee energy weapon, and a ranged blaster thing. That way we don't have a kaiju without hands... (remember that whole Heart Eater debacle)...

My other important direction, which deviated a bit from your original description, was that I wanted to play up the "Cyborg" angle, rather than giving an "armored, but fleshy underneath" vibe. Those can be hard to disambiguate visually, but I knew I wanted Lorica to be a cyborg, based on how the affiliations are playing out, and how I wanted to play out her team options. So having one metal wing and one organic wing is awesome.

The trophy ability also informed her visual style - I want people to look at her and say "oh, what's the story behind that bit? How about that bit? As if her cyborg components are all "trophies" from awesome battles she's survived. My goal is to make the name, art, affiliations, abilities, and combat description all give a clear mental picture that people will like and choose to use on a team.

SWEGM and Asura like this.
  9. Asura

Kaiju Coins:
    @Simon Strange

It's not my intent to bother or annoy you, but you asked me yesterday if the explanation you gave in answer to my questioning makes sense. I've been mulling it over, and I'm happy to say the majority of it does, and I like the idea of her taking trophies as a unique ability. However, I've come across a couple of points that don't make sense to me, at least not without further context and explanation:

You mentioned the "Heart Eater debacle" as the primary reason for giving Lorica a hand rather than her raptorial limb/sword. However, I wasn't around for that so without any context I don't know what it was about. An explanation was provided in the ShoutBox, but I don't know if it's what you're referring to: something about Heart Eater's creator demanding changes be made to the finalized Progenitor art design to include hands? If that's what you're alluding to, to be clear that's not my intent. I won't lie, Lorica not having a raptorial limb in her card art was - and to be honest still is - a bit of a let-down, but I was aware that in submitting the character there was the risk/probability of my original concept undergoing significant alterations that I may or may not like. I'm certainly not demanding that the artwork be redone, if that's what you were implying by bringing Heart Eater up. What's done is done. I'm just curious about why those changes were made, which wewewezing compared to maoyurui's "BINO" incident - another thing I wasn't around for, but going by the explanation I was given it strikes me as a more apt comparison.

For the most part you've satisfied my curiosity, but confusion over missing context aside, the other thing that didn't make sense occurred to me as I was reading the part of your explanation where you mention it's a bad thing for kaiju to not have hands. If Heart Eater not having hands was such a debacle to the point that handless kaiju are discouraged, why are there so many official kaiju that don't have hands? Even without looking at handless Godzilla kaiju that have been in the Pipeworks games, like Gigan (who partially inspired the arm-blade idea), Megalon, Biollante, and King Ghidorah; there are several CKC kaiju aside from Heart Eater who don't have hands. Looking at the Progenitors, there's Kikiron, Cryx, Torrentula, Tri'Moloch, Prospector Pete, Enslaver, Giga Raptor, Iracundus, Keelhorn, Bogma, Infensus, Atlantic Scourge, Kaiotaita, Rekker, and Yiemniak. Given this, your statement that handless kaiju are something that is discouraged is a bit perplexing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    Shashi likes this.
  10. Bambs

Bambs Princess of All You Insects

Kaiju Coins:
    The debacle had nothing to do with hands, @Asura , it had to do with kaiju creators/owners not having complete control over the art/depiction of their characters' depiction in CKC, this is to prevent people from constantly requesting Simon and the artist change things until they get it "perfect". Simon has final say ultimately on how characters are portrayed in CKC.

Shashi likes this.
  11. Asura

Kaiju Coins:
    Yeah, I get that. As I said, "I was aware that in submitting the character there was the risk/probability of my original concept undergoing significant alterations that I may or may not like." However, Mr. Strange referenced the Heart Eater incident in a manner that - given my lack of knowledge about it - led me to misunderstand what he was referring to - "That way we don't have a kaiju without hands... (remember that whole Heart Eater debacle)..." - and I was wanting clarification to resolve that misunderstanding.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 10:17 PM
    Shashi and Bambs like this.
  12. Bambs

Bambs Princess of All You Insects

Kaiju Coins:
    Oh, may have just been a light-hearted remark.

I should read more I guess. .-.

Shashi likes this.
  13. Simon Strange

Kaiju Coins:
    You misunderstood. I LIKE kaiju without hands. But when we drew HE without hands, there was a whole thing about it. So now I'm more cautious about it. Lorica specifically needs to be able to manipulate things - and I didn't want her to seem Edward scissorhands-y. Like in making her a cyborg, they cut off her hands. So I wanted one limb to be purely organic. That's all.

I don't agree - I thought it was about hands.

Bambs, Shashi and Asura like this.
  14. Asura

Kaiju Coins:
    Thank-you. That makes things much clearer.

Shashi likes this.