The Silent One

Discussion in 'Original Monster Submissions' started by HiddenElephant, Apr 1, 2017.

?

The Silent One?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. Middle-Of-The_Road

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HiddenElephant

HiddenElephant Here For The Story

Kaiju Coins:
    [​IMG]

The Silent One

Height: 110 Meters
    Weight: 30,000 Tonnes
    Combat Style: Melee
    Primary Attacks: Slashing Claws
    Secondary Attacks: Mandi-Bite, Razor Thorns
    Primary Weapons: Superior Senses
    Secondary Weapons: Rage
    Energy System: Unstable Battery (Sound)

Overview: The Silent One is a titanic alien beast of incredible lethality. It boasts surprising durability, wickedly sharp intelligence and lightning-fast speed. Its most valued asset, however, are the majority of its senses. It can see in every known spectrum (including thermal), a powerful sense of smell and taste, an acute sense of touch and balance, and even mild psionic detection capabilities. Even its hearing is unbelievably sharp, but there is an odd catch to it. Though the Silent One’s ears are acute and sensitive, it cannot understand sound. Its brain is not wired to comprehend noise due to being forced to understand all the information its other senses give it and its own malign intelligence. This inability to comprehend the sounds it hears causes rage inside the beast, which drives it to become wild and reckless in fights.

Origin: The first days of the Silent One are not truly known. If you asked someone who knew that it existed, they’d probably state that it was a manifestation of darkness and fear, a horrid spirit-creature driven to destroy entire worlds out of spite. The earliest encounter of it comes from an old recording from a lost scientific survey to a distant planet, one that never returned, and that itself is inconclusive to its origin.

Such evidence is sadly not unique. There are several stories of a giant creature hiding in remote locations, only to arise to destroy the accomplishments and achievements of glorious civilizations, each from a different planet and from undetermined ages ago. Still, legends, tales, and then evidence of its existence grows as it travels. It does not haunt the child-races of the galaxy, instead hiding in the forgotten corners of the older races and reaching out to destroy them at its leisure. If given sufficient time, it will silence the planet it has occupied in a terrible unrecorded cataclysm, then slink back into the dark like a bogeyman.

Its existence is not widely shared. A collection of peacekeepers are desperately tracking its path, trying to learn as much as they can from its patterns, and they believe that if news of its existence spread, they may never hear from it ever again. These peacekeepers have gathered a few facts about the Silent One. Firstly, it has surprising technological knowledge, being able to know how to build at least one variety of interstellar travel or long-distance teleportation system as well as multiple devastating doomsday weapons. Secondly, it hates sound. Noise physically agitates the creature, leaving those in the know to speculate that the creature is driven to silence the galaxy.

Finally, the peacekeepers feel confident in acting. Their trail only grows warmer, closing in on the Silent One. They stand to finally drive the shadowy monster into the light, to take it out into the open and fight it on their own terms. What will happen next is anyone’s guess. It may be destroyed for good. It may be imprisoned. Or it may slip away, slinking silently back into the dark.

Energy
    : The Silent One does not have a ranged attack. Instead, its energy meter represents its level of anger. It gains energy whenever sound is emitted. Footsteps, roars, the crashing of fighting monsters, each and every decibel of sound worms its way into the Silent One’s mind, which cannot handle sound due to interpreting all of its other sense in addition to its brilliant mind. It becomes angrier at its own inability to understand such basic information, and its attacks become wilder as a result.
    As the Silent One’s anger/energy increases, its attacks become stronger and fiercer, but also wilder more open to counter-attack as it makes mistakes in rage. Though making more sound may seem to be a solution to fighting it, if it is at maximum anger/energy, it will gain ultimate instead, allowing it to pull off its mightiest strike easier.
    The Silent One’s energy only goes down in moments of quiet.

Ranged: Despite its alien anatomy, mutated origin, and technical knowledge, the Silent One has no ranged attacks. It only has its incredible speed and great reach to fight other monsters in the realm of ranged attacks.

Grappling: The Silent One is almost impossibly flexible, a useful trait due to its light weight and lack of efficient grapplers. Its insectile carapace is covered in tough hairs that can act as spikes, and its speed and dexterity means that it will typically have the upper hand in grappling matches.

Melee: The Silent One is a lethal melee opponent with its devastating claws. It has been recorded of being able to swing its arms at speeds greater than the speed of sound, but typically refrains from doing so due to the sonic boom that follows. It also has great reach from its long limbs, allowing it to outdistance some monsters in the realm of combat. Even if it is put into close-quarters, it is still deadly from its snapping jaws and defensive hairs and spikes.

Weaknesses
    : The Silent One, obviously, possesses no ranged capacity, but that is hardly the issue. Sound drives its anger up, which causes its attacks to have greater and greater openings between them. As the Silent One cannot roar and its footsteps are impossibly silent, it does not cause growth of energy on its own, and enemy monsters can exploit its weakness by simply stomping near it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. HiddenElephant

Kaiju Coins:

Shashi likes this.
  3. Orin The Kaijuborn

Orin The Kaijuborn The Resident Oreo King and Starco Shipper Kaiju Benefactor

Kaiju Coins:
    Love the look!!!

HiddenElephant likes this.
  4. cmeyer9542

cmeyer9542 Well-Known Member Theme Team!

Kaiju Coins:
    Very cool and creepy look to him.

5. Asura

Asura Unofficial Updater of the CKC TV Tropes Page

Kaiju Coins:
    [​IMG] 7:47 PM - Simon Strange:
    @HE - so Silent One. I'd like to start by discussing "fast"
    [​IMG] 7:48 PM - HiddenElephant:
    What is fast? A Philisophical discussion.
    [​IMG] 7:48 PM - Simon Strange:
    Be specific! Is it the running speed? Quick-witted? Fast reactions? Good at dodging attacks? Uses time to finish tasks efficiently?
    [​IMG] 7:48 PM - Simon Strange:
    But you used the word - the onus is on you.
    [​IMG] 7:49 PM - Shashi:
    @Simon jako_m did point out in the past that a multi-legged form that rolls around would probably not work well in the game, since it is hardly bipedal
    [​IMG] 7:49 PM - Simon Strange:
    And what does "it cannot understand sounds" - ?!?!? That makes no sense.
    [​IMG] 7:50 PM - HiddenElephant:
    Our brains are built to recieve information from from organs that can, well, sense things.
    [​IMG] 7:50 PM - Simon Strange:
    @HE - also, I dislike "His origin isn't known, but here's a detailed account of it." Don't jerk your audience around! Own it!
    [​IMG] 7:50 PM - HiddenElephant:
    The Silent One can hear, but its brain is not wired to be able to comprehend it. It's a random, messy confusing.
    [​IMG] 7:51 PM - HiddenElephant:
    I cannot word today, everyone!

Shashi and HiddenElephant like this.
  6. wewewezing

wewewezing Some Bloke' with a Baseball Bat Trusted User

Kaiju Coins:
    Per creator request, I'm reviewing this thing. Here is the Obligatory Disclaimer:

Appearance wise this thing is.....interesting. I'm having a hard time discerning how it's front limbs work, but I think that's just because the texture. Speaking of which, this thing looks like a furred bug, which is a really cool concept. It looks very unsettling, which is helpful considering I'm assuming this thing is a "Threat" kaiju. All in all, it looks good, like I said, there's that little section where things are hard to see, but it's fine all things considered.

In the overview, this line confuses me:

Seriously, that makes NO sense. The line after it makes very little sense too. Overall the origin could really just use a re-writing, it's pretty jarring, and doesn't actually give me a good sense of what exactly this thing is.

The origin is similarly pretty disjointed. A lot of things just don't really add up, and it makes it pretty hard to follow anything. Every sentence just...feels like a part of a different origin, thrown together. I'd say some serious rewrites are needed. Even if you don't explain what this thing is, or where it comes from, try to explain why it's so dangerous, and why it's being hunted so diligently.

The entire conceit and execution of the gameplay, is nothing short of fucking brilliant. Seriously, I'm just GUSHING over how cool it is. It's like a horror movie monster, stalking it's prey. The strengths and weaknesses make sense in a gameplay context, and all in all it just sounds super cool. My only issue is maybe it'd be too easy to reach an OP level, or get an ultimate, because naturally there's gonna be a LOT of destruction and noise. Maybe something could be done to make it a little more balanced, but as it stands it's still really cool.

All in all, an interesting idea and a legitimately ingenious gameplay idea are cluttered by a very, very poor origin and overview. You fix those up, and this thing will become one of my favorite forum kaiju, ever.

Asura, Shashi and HiddenElephant like this.
  7. HiddenElephant

Kaiju Coins:
    With the input granted to me, I have thusly rewritten the overview and the origin for the Silent One! Check it out and give thoughts!

Asura and Shashi like this.
  8. Shashi

Shashi Well-Known Member

Kaiju Coins:
    I like the changes you've made; the overview and origin have been tightened (and sharpened, too) considerably :) :thumbsup

9. Mexicankaiju

Mexicankaiju Design Team Axolotl, Clay Master and 80's dude

Kaiju Coins:
    Really unique design and lovely art style that makes it look like taken from a centuries-old book, the name is very fittable and the origin is dark and neato!

Shashi and HiddenElephant like this.
  10. HiddenElephant

Kaiju Coins:
    Just a heads-up: I'm working on colored art. Currently working on that colored bit. The colors I chose were... dissonant with the theme.

Shashi and Asura like this.
  11. HiddenElephant

Kaiju Coins:
    Because I'm bored and it's been long enough, I'll tell you the single inspiration for this monster:

12. Orin The Kaijuborn

Orin The Kaijuborn The Resident Oreo King and Starco Shipper Kaiju Benefactor

Kaiju Coins:

Nice rockin' tune my dude

13. wewewezing

wewewezing Some Bloke' with a Baseball Bat Trusted User

Kaiju Coins:
    This was fun, I'll make Lineart of this when I'm not so swamped
    [​IMG]

14. Supergeon

Supergeon Design Team Member

Kaiju Coins:
    Very cool design HE.

15. animefreakazoidicitis1

animefreakazoidicitis1 Well-Known Member

Kaiju Coins:
    I was wondering when the Silent One would be a thread. I like it but I can't tell if his left arm is scratching his chin or something.

Shashi likes this.
  16. Shashi

Shashi Well-Known Member

Kaiju Coins:
    It probably gave an upwards slash towards a small creature that was bugging it :p

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  17. HiddenElephant

Kaiju Coins:
    It was just something to make the Silent One more creepy. Plus, the Silent One's got double the knees and elbows we have, plus a good deal more flexibility. I have no idea how it moves.

Shashi likes this.